Filed under Community, News

She Felt Beautiful at Her Prom and Wants to Help Others Feel the Same

Photo by: Photo from Twitter

Photo by: Photo from Twitter

A Fresno City College student is making prom season less expensive for girls in need.

Sophia Bautista, a political science major at FCC, took to Twitter on April 8 to offer her past prom dresses to girls who were on a budget. She’s also providing a makeup artist, and a nail service free of charge to girls who take her up on her offer.

Of the dresses she’s lending out, one is long, red and strapless, and the other is a short white formal style dress, both size small. Since her tweet, three girls have asked to borrow a dress, Bautista said.

Along with the kind comments and replies Bautista is receiving, other girls on Twitter have also made posts offering to lend out their prom dresses to students who cannot afford it.

Bautista explained that because of her insecurities throughout high school, her parents spent a little over $400 to make sure her own senior prom night was special.

“I got to feel beautiful because I could afford to be, and it meant a lot to me that my parents were able to drop that much money for something as trivial but as special as prom,” Bautista said. “I want that for every girl.”

A girl’s big night can become costly between the dress, hair, makeup, and shoes. Along with that is the cost of tickets and transportation. Students in the Western U.S. spend over $600 each on their prom, according to yahoo’s Prom Across America Survey.

Bautista explained that because her parents are Asian-American immigrants, she assumed they would be upset about how much her prom cost, but instead they said nothing as a gift to her.

“I felt so beautiful that night when I put that red dress on, and had my makeup and hair done,” she said. “For the first time, I felt like I possessed the kind of beauty that didn’t need validation, and I want every girl to have that moment where they just can’t deny that they look gorgeous. That’s why I had the prom dress drive.”

Bautista, 19, has made other headlines for her community involvement in the past year. She organized last September’s DACA protest in Fresno’s Tower District which brought hundreds, and she also spoke at the second annual Central Valley Women’s March.

Sasha Saunders, Reporter

Sasha Saunders was born in San Francisco, California in 1998. She lived in various locations around Oakland up until the age of 3 when her mother, who worked as a nurse, and father, who worked as a truck driver, decided to buy their first home in Fresno, California.

Here Sasha grew up and picked up many childhood hobbies such as playing the saxophone, DIY crafts, and professional dancing. There was never a time she wasn’t outgoing, not afraid to voice what she isn’t fond of and always ready to voice about what she loved and will talk about what she loved until you yourself pick up a new interest.

She always had a passion for the message and vibe something gave, whether it was a song, a piece of art, a book, a room, even a conversation between strangers.The interactions that took place between people and things to make something magic happen also spiked her interest. So in the year 2016, Sasha graduated from high school and when trying to figure out what career path she was going into she automatically dove into psychology. Her charm, persuasion, and curiosity being the main reasons why.

Throughout this journey she found herself often questioning herself about her future. She was in a stump when it came to her dream versus scholastic ladder type of thing. The cubicle versus credibility idea was eating at her. Although psychology sparked an interest in her, the history and current keep up of love, sex, music, men, fashion, culture and race lit a FIRE.

In the transfer center, her very last semester of community college is where she finally decided to tell her adviser she had found a major that can support all her interests, including psychology. Now Sasha is at Fresno City College earning both her associate’s in psychology and her new found love, journalism.

With a journalism background, she can eventually become an all around media specialist and possibly talk and write about all of her interests in one magazine, television show, or blog. With plans to transfer to CSU Northridge, CSU Long Beach, or Clark-Atlanta University, she plans to pursue these dreams so with hard work and persistence this will not be the last encounter with the name Sasha Saunders.

Sasha can be contacted at [email protected] or on Twitter @SASHASYASI.