Chalk It Out Uses Uplifting Messages to Prevent Suicide

FCC student Diana Tearn writes an inspiring message near the main fountain at the Chalk It Out event for suicide awareness on Thursday, Sept. 7, 2017.

Story By: Alejandra Flores, Reporter

Fresno City College staff and students shared positive and uplifting messages about making a difference across campus during the Chalk It Out event on Sept. 8 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the main fountain area.

“We hold this event to inspire messages of encouragement with students who might be struggling with depression,” said Jennifer Zizzo who is in charge of psychological services,  which organized the event.  

FCC participates in Chalk It Out every year on Suicide Awareness Month. “Every year that we do it, we typically receive students coming in, requesting services,” Zizzo said.

According to jasonfoundation.com, suicide is the second leading cause of death for ages 10 to 24, leaving school administrators and colleges concerned.

“It’s important to reach out to students and let them know that they’re not alone,” Zizzo said, explaining why Chalk It Out is important.

“I’m participating because Suicide Awareness Month is actually something really important to me,” Deanna Piseno, a FCC student, said. “I lost one of my really close cousins to suicide, so that’s why when I heard about this, it’s the first thing I came over to do.”

Piseno said she believes the Chalk It Out event is extremely necessary and would participate every year.

“I think it’s important because someone might be having a bad day and see your message and that might make them feel a lot better about themselves,” she said.

She added that she hoped that anyone who is actually contemplating suicide will be helped by the event.

Student Angela Flores said this is her first time of participating in this supportive event.

“Chalk It Out is important because a lot of people go through depression and think that suicide is their only way out,” Flores said. “Seeing this stuff around campus makes you feel like your school actually cares for you.”

Other FCC students seemed confused as they made their way across the inspiring messages on the concrete walkway.

“I saw some students walking around and respecting, just kind of not trying to step on basically what’s called beautiful art in a sense,” said Daine Terein, a student at FCC.  

Psych Services are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and can be reached by phone at 559-443-8687; the National Suicide Prevention Hotline is 1-800-273-8255.