FCC’s Farewell To VP

Dozens of students and faculty bid farewell to Michael Guerra, Vice President of Administrative
Services in the Community Room of the Old Administration Building at Fresno City College on Tuesday.
Guerra announced his resignation this week.

Interim President Tony Cantu opened the ceremony, and on behalf of FCC, thanked Guerra for
his contributions to the college. Representatives of the Associated Student Government were present and
presented a wrapped gift to him.

Cantu says that he will miss Guerra and the stability he’s provided over the years. “He [Guerra]
has been with the college for a long time, and he’s been in that position for a long time. That’s a lot of
history we are losing,” said Cantu.

Cantu’s sentiments were echoed by several others. Lynn Mallory who has worked with Guerra
in Administrative Services for more than 15 years said she’ll miss him. “He’s been a great boss and a
good friend. He is very easy to work with, and I have really enjoyed it,” said Mallory. “He has so much
historical knowledge about this campus, and that’s going to be missed.”

Print, Media and Communications department manager, Richard Harrison, said really cared about
the students. “Everything that he planned and did benefited students,” said Harrison. “He did a lot to just
keep the college running.”

Guerra said he is glad he was able to help the college grow but that FCC helped him grow in
many ways. He added he will miss FCC because of the students.

“That’s what I’m going to remember most; the students and how they enriched my life. How a
student would say what their dreams were,” said Guerra. “Dreams can come true. My dream came true
working here.”

Michael Guerra began his career at FCC as bookstore manager in 1990. He began his current
position as VP of Administrative Services in 1996.

With a lifetime Community College Teaching Credential in Business and Industrial Relations,
Guerra had several responsibilities, including, budget development, bursar functions, safety, building
services in terms of custodial, classified personnel, categorical oversight and production services.

Guerra earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Biology from California State University, Fresno and
a Master’s Degree in Human Resource and Organizational Development from the University of San
Francisco.

He established the Fresno Hispanic Scholarship Fund and also the Eleanor Rico Ruiz Memorial
Scholarship, a scholarship awarded to single Latina parents who demonstrate academic achievement
while raising a family.

Guerra had also participated as a member of the Accrediting Commission for colleges such as Leeward
Community College, Moorpark College and Pasadena City College.

His resignation took effect on Sept. 30. He will be joining Modesto Jr. College as VP for Administrative
Services.