Barbenheimer and it’s Cultural Impact

Barbenheimer Logo, a merge logo of Barbie and Oppenheimer with Barbie design logo style poster. United States, July 27th, 2023. From: https://www.open.edu/openlearn/history-the-arts/film/is-barbenheimer-going-save-cinema

Movies are back as “Barbie” and “Oppenheimer”  both released on July 21 causing the online phenomenon of Barbenheimer. 

Both movies captured the attention of audiences worldwide despite the major differences in themes, genres, and tones. Many moviegoers did double screenings where they saw both films right after the other.

“Barbie” and “Oppenheimer” contrasted each other perfectly with Barbie’s light-hearted charm and pinkness. Oppenheimer’s intense dark drama, the films catered to very diverse audiences which created a unique cinematic experience we haven’t seen before. 

Barbie had audience members dressing up as different types of Barbies or wearing some form of pink, whereas Oppenheimer had audience members wearing more darker toned clothing or suits and hats.

Theaters have rarely seen this type of action from people besides audiences dressing up for superhero movies. The highly anticipated films caused the box office to thrive and without a doubt, the most talked about movies this summer. 

Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie” catered to a wide audience as the film appealed to all ages with its colorful and fun-filled storyline that had a heartwarming message. The film was nostalgic but had a fresh take on the iconic doll promoting individuality and empowerment.

Due to the wide success of “Barbie,” Mattel Inc. that manufactures Barbie is planning to release more movies about toys like Polly Pocket, Hot Wheels, and even Uno.

Christopher Nolan’s “Oppenheimer” captured a more mature audience. Nolan’s film sparked debates over moral complexities about scientific advancements and the dangers of wars. 

“Barbie” has grossed over $537.4 million at the U.S. box office making it Warner Bros highest-grossing movie and has grossed over $1.18 Billion globally.

“Oppenheimer” has made $552.9 million globally.