Buying from Small Businesses Isn’t Just for Saturdays

Art Hop
Photo by: Cameron Pippin
Entrance between REI and J. Crew Factory towards the Art Hop in River Park shopping center. January 18, 2024

The Fresno Art is a family-oriented event with live music and food trucks, designed to be fun for all ages. Art Hop is on the first and third Thursday of every month.

Fresno Art Hop is not just for painters and sculptors. Many small businesses had their creations on display for all to see. 

At the Jan. 20 Art Hop in River Park, Keri Feral, owner of Feral Dragon Soapery, was on her feet and engaging with potential customers.

Feral said, “Many people do come out to not only see the local artists but support local small businesses. Since it’s a consistent event I see customers regularly and get to know them.” 

Feral also said that while talking to customers she has gained insight on ingredients used in different cultures and has since- through research- used those ingredients for her products.

Some vendors like Feral have been part of Art Hop for a few years. However, some small businesses like SMV Clay have only been in business since COVID-19 happened in 2020. 

Sabrina Vallez, the owner of SMV Clay, has been in business for three years but has only been a vendor at Art Hop for two. Vallez said she loves getting her name out there and viewing all of the handmade items from different vendors. 

These businesses thrive from the Art Hop however, they have to rely on pop-ups like these to create revenue to stay in business. Feral explained, “There have been many Art Hops that were my financial best day of the month.” 

The next Art Hop will be on February 1st, between 5 pm and 9 pm. 

There are multiple locations throughout Fresno County so guests are encouraged to look online at the Fresno Art Hop. And for people looking to support the local economy while shopping for a birthday or special occasion.