Fresno County Fair Presents: The History of Horse Racing

Photo by: Michael Lin
A jockey races his horse during the Big Fresno Fair live horse races on Oct, 8, 2023.

The history of live horse races at the Fresno Fair dates back to Sept. 25, 1935. That first event, along with the long tradition of competition it inspired, is commemorated at The Big Fresno Fair Museum.

“There is a huge sense of sentimental connection to how we have got here today,” said museum director Tyler Menrik.

According to Menrik, these athletes go through extensive preparation to be fit, mentally focused, and skilled enough to compete in one of the most demanding sports in the world.

Displays in the museum show how live horse racing solidified its place at the Fresno Fair as a premier destination for competitions in Central California throughout the 1900s.

Menrik explains how notable champions have emerged from these races, leaving an unforgettable mark on the sport.

Alexander Bryant, a museum assistant, said that horse races are a tradition at the Fresno County Fair that brings families together.

“The horse races and history museum bring joy to people,” said Bryant.

The Fresno Horse Races can be seen every year around October, when the Fresno County Fair is in town. The next live horse races will be held on Oct. 2-14 2024.