‘Atomic Blonde’ Bombs

Story By: Marco Rosas, Reporter

“Atomic Blonde” is an espionage thriller set in 1989 Berlin; it has been described by some critics as the female John Wick, but not this critic.
“Atomic Blonde” does a lot of things well, but it is far from the exciting action movie of the year that it has been marketed to be.
Charlize Theron’s performance as super spy Lorraine Broughton is good, but her character never feels truly flushed out.
It feels as though one never truly gets a chance to know her character, which is arguably justified in a movie trying to be a mysterious thriller.
However, that is not the tone of the film– or at least it’s not the only tone throughout the film.
Some scenes feel like fun action sequences to very opportunely placed ‘80s tracks, while others feel like boring and unnecessarily lengthy exposition.
The back and forth shifts in tone throughout the movie make it hard for audience members to plug into the film and simply enjoy themselves.
The Berlin setting also does absolutely nothing for the film, it feels more like a backdrop or occasional plot device than an actual setting.
The distinction between places like England and Germany is virtually none, for a movie that can easily set and shift a tone atmosphere is somehow lost throughout the film.
Even throwing multiple agents into the fray does not help the movies atmosphere.
Sofia Boutella plays French Intelligence Agent Delphine, the film’s unnecessary love interest.
Boutella’s performance as a rookie agent over her head is good, but her over the top love scenes with Charlize Theron feel somewhat forced in the film.
Her character is never really given a chance to prove herself as an agent and is more or less a female plot device even in a movie with a female lead.

The film fails not only in breaking standing out as a spy film but also in creating an immersive atmosphere full of intriguing characters.
“Atomic Blonde” does create a sense of chaos through one character, MI6 Agent David Percival played by James McAvoy.
McAvoy does a phenomenal job of playing a cunning, opportunistic and unpredictable agent in the lawless city of Berlin.
McAvoy’s performance is one of the few exceptional parts of this film. His character’s motives are never completely clear, constantly tickling the audience’s curiosity.
Theron’s action scenes in the film’s second half are also particularly exciting and also offer a degree of believability.
Theron is not a one woman wrecking machine, she’s human, the belief that at any moment one of the giant bumbling henchman could knock her out is ever present.
When the hero or heroine can be hurt the stakes become higher and bring drama to the fight scenes.
Ultimately the twists and turns in the plot, the abrupt and odd shifts in tone throughout the film and uncharismatic protagonist bring this film down.
They outweigh the mostly on point soundtrack, fun action sequences and overall good performances.

1 Comment

One Response to “‘Atomic Blonde’ Bombs”

1. Emrys on August 1st, 2017 8:15 pm

Atomic Blonde is a lame attempt by the Cultural Marxist ‘elite’ that control Western governments and pop culture now (including almost all major film critics) to create a female James Bond. It fails miserably as the acting sequences are unrealistic and lacking in basic physics (e.g a front kick by a 65 pound woman against a 200 pound man doesn’t send her backwards but sends him flying)

They cannot create a female James Bond yet and so settle for changing his colour to Black. They’ve managed to make Iron Man a black female and Thor a woman in comic culture, Starbuck a woman in BSG, Moriarty and Watson a female in TV and given Sherlock a ‘smarter’ sister in Sherlock. The sickening Marxist agenda is afoot for all to see.

The reason the elite are doing this is obvious. Destruction of traditional gender roles makes men and women incompatible leading to less relationships, less marriages and thus less/more broken families. Destruction of the family is integral to their ‘divide and conquer control of the population. Devotion to family before the state forms a barrier to tyrannical state control thus it must be eroded as an institution.

Men must also be subjugated, especially white men as they symbolise and comprise the embodiment of western civilisation and destruction of the West is the goal of the ‘elite’ as they move toward a new system of dystopic global governance and to do this they need to destroy the current dominant systems like western cultural and economic dominance, along with national sovereignty. Men are the most physically dangerous and most likely to challenge authority thus they must be feminised and subjugated, Feminism and the cultural Marxism gender fluid ethos also serves this purpose. Women also reason more emotionally and as propaganda works on emotion, a female-dominated society will be much more susceptible to propaganda.

In fact William Moulton Marston the creator of Wonder Woman wanted the character to engender obedience to authority through acceptance of the’feminine power’.
    “The only hope for peace is to teach people who are full of pep and unbound force to enjoy being bound… Only when the control of self by others is more pleasant than the unbound assertion of self in human relationships can we hope for a stable, peaceful human society… Giving to others, being controlled by them, submitting to other people cannot possibly be enjoyable without a strong erotic element”. “Give them an alluring woman stronger than themselves to submit to, and they’ll be proud to become her willing slaves!”
    Through his Wonder Woman comics, he aimed to condition readers to becoming more readily accepting of loving submission to loving authorities

This must not be tolerated in our pop culture which is being poisoned by Cultural Marxism. Our cherished tales that stem from archetypal hero’s journey’s that arise from evolutionary biology where men seek out wealth and adventure to win the female that we see throughout the natural world is being replaced with politically driven nonsense that doesn’t ring true to our primal subconscious.
    Destruction of iconic male heroes is also a key part of it, subjugation of th mae psyche. This is why they tend to replace iconic male heroes with women rather than make new ones, it’s a war against the male psyche and symbolisses their intent of dominating the male with the female.

On occasion they make new ones which is laudable to a small extent and is not inherently wrong in and of itself. Normally the free market/capitalism would relegate such efforts to the dustbin but with immense political money and propaganda behind them (Rotten Tomatoes critics fawn all over them) they will keep being forced on us.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• ‘Atomic Blonde’ Bombs

Community

Looking for Holiday Fun in Fresno? Here are 4 Ideas

• ‘Atomic Blonde’ Bombs

Entertainment

Fresno Film Festival Celebrates 13th Year

• ‘Atomic Blonde’ Bombs

Entertainment

Live Jazz Thrills in Fresno’s Tokyo Garden

• ‘Atomic Blonde’ Bombs

Entertainment

‘Justice League’ Saves DC Cinematic Universe

• ‘Atomic Blonde’ Bombs

Arts & Literature

‘Silent Sky’ Opening Night Shines Bright

• Arts & Literature

High School Choirs Perform in Fall Festival

• ‘Atomic Blonde’ Bombs

Arts & Literature

Students Show Off Mastery in Student Recital

• ‘Atomic Blonde’ Bombs

Entertainment

‘Stranger Things 2’ Recaptures Magic

• ‘Atomic Blonde’ Bombs

Arts & Literature

Art Space Gallery Welcomes CSU Fullerton Professor

• ‘Atomic Blonde’ Bombs

Arts & Literature

‘Atomic Blonde’ Bombs