The News Site of Fresno City College

Winning Streak Ends For The Rams

November 2, 2017


Photo by: Jorge Rodriguez

Carrying a three game winning streak, the Fresno City College football team wanted to make it four wins in a row against Laney College on Oct. 28. The game, however, did not go their way and Laney handed the Rams their second home loss of the season with a final score of 30-23.

The first quarter of the game was all FCC, first with a 24-yard pass from quarterback Trey McJunkin to wide receiver Ontario Johnson and with a good extra point kick, the Rams were up 7-0.

Another TD was scored just before the end of the quarter when McJunkins’ 65-yard pass to wide receiver Markelle Raymond was caught. The following play was a two-point conversion run by kicker Evan Rios that put the up 15-0 in the first quarter.

The second quarter saw little action on both sides, but Laney did manage to get on the scoreboard and make it 15-7. They went into halftime with FCC leading the game and believing that they had a the win.

For the third quarter FCC’s offence started slow, but the defense managed to hold Laney to just three points in their first offensive drive of the second half. The score was now 15-10 and Laney seemed to have gotten the momentum in the game.

The Rams continued their offensive struggle and this gave Laney the chance they needed to get the advantage in the game.

Laney drove down the field and manage to get a TD, but when they went for the two-point conversion, they were denied by FCC’s special teams keeping the game within one point 16-15.

FCC finally made something happen in the second half when just before the end of the third quarter, McJunkin’s 43-yard pass was caught by wide receiver Coltin Velasquez who made a dive to the end zone.

The Rams went for the two-point conversion and were successful when McJunkin’s pass to wide receiver Anthony Stewart who made a one handed leaping catch was good giving FCC the lead 23-16.

In the fourth quarter things got really interesting, because at the start of the quarter Laney managed to score a TD that tied the game up forcing FCC on the offensive.

With the ball in their own 25-yard line, FCC was looking to take the lead and close out the game, but this is when disaster struck. McJunkin mishandled the snap and fumbled the ball, which was recovered by Laney at the 15-yard line.

In a very favorable position, Laney rushed in for a TD, getting the extra point and giving them the lead in the game.

With Laney up 30-23 FCC was looking to tie up the game and maybe even force overtime, but even though they drove to Laney’s red-zone, they could not convert on fourth down and turned the ball over.

Laney took over with over five minutes left in the quarter, FCC manage to force a punt, but Laney had taken the clock down to just over a minute left in the game.

FCC’s McJunkin tried a few quick passes that were incomplete, and with time running out he went for an ill-advised pass that was intercepted with about 30 seconds left in the clock. This ended FCC’s chances and gave the 30-23 win to Laney.

“We played good, but we couldn’t answer in the second half,” said head coach Tony Caviglia. “We could have won this game, but they made the plays at the end, and we didn’t. We have to move on grow from this and get better next week.”

Leave a Comment

The Rampage Online • Copyright 2022 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

Please be respectful.
All The Rampage Online Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest