Volleyball en route to CVC championship

Fresno City College Rams women’s volleyball team is off to a great start with an 11-4 record and 4-0 in conference play on the season.

FCC is currently  No. 7, jumping three spots in the California Community College Athletic Association state poll.

After a win over Foothill College to start the season,  FCC went on a three-game losing streak with  a record of  1-3.  With losses to American River College and Foothill, the Rams went  on a seven-game win streak, giving up  one set to their opponents and dominating offensively.

The streak came to an end against No. 2 ranked Cabrillo College in a close game three sets to two.

FCC has faced a  tough schedule so far, facing Sacramento City, Porterville, American River, Foothill , San Joaquin Delta, Feather River, Sierra and Santa Rosa. They are all recognized as one of the states top volleyball programs.

FCC has currently won 10 of its last 11 games, sweeping eight of its opponents in straight sets.

Their last outing was a Central Valley Conference match on Oct. 9, FCC defeated Reedley College in straight sets , 25-19, 25-9, 25-23. Caitlin Marinos and Morgan Dose had nine and eight kills, respectively.

FCC has been led by sophomore outside hitter Valerie Gobby all season with 125 kills. Sophomore middle blocker and 2012 all-state tournament team member Morgan Dose has totaled 90 kills.

Outside hitters Caitlin Marinos and Alyssa Jones have also contributed with 74 and 73 kills respectively.