College–Can You Really Complain?

Back to Article
Back to Article

College–Can You Really Complain?

Students at FCC stay informed on their mobile phones between classes on Thursday, Sept. 21.

Photo by: Seth Casey

Photo by: Seth Casey

Photo by: Seth Casey

Story By: Sarah N. Chavez, Assistant Opinion Editor

Now that you’re in college you’ve earned the right to choose how to live your life.

College is simultaneously the best and worst part of your life, giving you both the freedom–and responsibility–to make your dreams real.

According to the National Center for Education Statistics there were approximately 19.9 million college students that attended college in 2018. College can add stress onto your already stressful life, but it’s comforting to know that that there are other college students that are  having the same experiences. Everyone is struggling and trying to find where they fit in, so you are in good company.

This is the only time in your life when it’s OK to not know what you’re doing while you figure out who you are. It’s when you can do absolutely nothing in your life and in turn do almost everything and you can’t be bothered to care.

While college isn’t for everyone, it’s exactly what you make of it.

The typical narrative of a young college student is of a person who is stressed beyond belief and unbelievably ignorant to what the “real world” means.

The truth is that we are not as naive as “adults” think we are.

They are so intent on pushing this generation into “reasonable” careers that will lead them to the same path as previous generations. We are not interested in getting a degree for a boring job in which we will be stuck in for the rest of our lives, just because it is “reasonable” and “smart” to you.

This generation wants to make mistakes.

We want to pick a career that seems useless to others but special to us. We are passionate people; yes, portrayed as too emotional and not to be taken seriously.

And, if we are truly the future, we must be the ones driving change in most spheres of life, including economy, technology, etc.

College and the age we are in provide so many great opportunities for new adventures — to meet new and interesting people. You can sort out what you would want to do with your life while you take the time to be reckless and a free spirited young adult.

Just remember that it isn’t that long ago when we were in high school and complaining about how early the school day started. We had no choice. Our counselors fixed our schedules. Now in college, the schedules are not made by anyone else, but you. You chose your classes to fit your time frame.

There are no restrictions on what you can do in college.

You can even drop out if that is what your heart desires.

You have finally earned the right to dictate what you choose to do in your life.