Community Symphony Orchestra Evokes French Romantic Theatre

Photo by: Noah Villaverde

Jeffrey T. Sandersier conducts the Community Symphony Orchestra during its Fall 2017 concert in the OAB Auditorium on Tuesday, Oct. 3.

Story By: Noah Villaverde, Reporter

The Community Symphony Orchestra took the audience through French theatre history during its concert in the Old Administration Building Auditorium on Oct. 3.

The orchestra performed three different pieces, bringing a sense of the culture found in the French theatre scenes during the 19th century.

Conductor Jeffrey T. Sandersier said he believes that the concert’s theme of exploring music from these French composers during this era would serve as a good challenge for the orchestra.

“The pieces are all rarely performed, but of such high quality,” Sandersier said. “We wanted to share the works of these brilliant French composers to the audience.”

Concertmaster John Morrice said he found Sandersier’s choices of music quite interesting.

“He loves to play things that are slightly obscure,” said Morrice. “The French romantic period of music was fascinating, and we got to use some great brass and woodwind players.”

The first piece performed was “Le Cheval de Bronze – Overture” by composer Daniel François Espirit Auber, which set the mood for the entire concert.

“Symphony No. 2 E Flat Major” followed, and featured four movements that ranged from a slow, hymn-like sonata to a more upbeat tempo.

The concert concluded with a performance of “Suite Algérienne, Op. 60” comprised of four movements that reflected composer Camille Saint-Saëns’ love of faraway places.

The orchestra performs two concerts at Fresno City College every semester, with members comprised of students, music majors and non-students who play orchestral instruments.

“The orchestra is a healthy combination of elements within our music community,” said Morrice.

“We have a number of Fresno City College Students among the community players,” said Sandersier.  “I hear the students grow and achieve so much and go on to continue their education elsewhere.”