Next level of self-expression

Performing Arts Club allows students to overcome 

stage fright and expand creative boundaries. 

The Fresno City College Performing Arts Club put on an artist showcase put student talent on display.

Student submitted artwork and student musicians, dancers and comedians were out to show their talents off to the entire school.

“I like seeing what people can do,” said Candace Young, president of the Performing Arts Club.

Meeting every tuesday at 3:15, the Performing Arts Club plays a pivotal part in introducing those who otherwise may not have exposure to the arts and giving those who are exposed the platform to hone their particular craft.

From singing and dancing to drawing and painting, most every form of artistic expression can be found and is welcome in their meetings.

“We are really about making friends,” Candace Young said. “A lot of people just come on campus, go to class and then leave. We really want to give people more of a friendly family atmosphere.”

The club stands by their laid back, friend-first, message by playing different games to close every meeting.

“We play all kinds of games,” Young said. “We dance, sing, get on the ground and roll around and yes, it can get you a bit out of your comfort zone but that’s how you grow.”

And personal growth is one of the things that the club stresses is among its list of successes.

“I like seeing people when they first come in being very shy and timid and then slowly watching them come out of their shell,” Young said. “Watching people become more comfortable in their own skin is an incredible experience.”

But their fun time doesn’t negate from their message that anyone can be an artist.

“It doesn’t matter if you can sing, dance, act or even draw in a straight line,” Young said. “Anyone can be an artist. And as long as you have some type of interest and you’re ready to have fun, then there is a place in the performing arts club for you.”