FCC basketball playoff hopes dashed

Although the Fresno City College men’s basketball team defeated Santa Rosa College in the second game of the season, winning 70 – 57, the rematch to go to the Final Four was a different story.

Santa Rosa used their length to defeat the Rams 83 – 72.  Santa Rosa shot 42 percent from three. They shot 80 percent from the free throw line attempting 41 attempts and converting 33 of them.

In the second half  the Rams made a run, getting within 5 points, 48 – 53, with about 7 minutes to go. Santa Rosa ended the run with threes by Alec Kobre and Matthew Hayes that put the game back up to double digits. Santa Rosa closed the game out at the free throw line and won 83 – 72.

It wasn’t close throughout the first half, Santa Rosa jumped out to a 20-1 lead on the No. 2 seeded Rams. The Rams got their first field goal of the game at  12:12.

“They hit their shots and we couldn’t capitalize when we had the chance,” said Madec

Head Coach Ed Madec couldn’t find the words to explain how important the sophomores have been for FCC.

For Colton Hafey, Rich Tesmer, and Chris Ashanti this was their final game in a Rams jersey. The emotion was evident as they were subbed out in the final minutes, tears coming from their eyes.

“FCC has been really a second chance for me, tearing my ACL out of high school and coach Madec still wanted me to come play for him,” said Tesmer

Assistant Coach Thomas Ammon was one of Madec’s former players when the Rams won their state title in 2007. His team was knocked out of the playoffs his sophomore year.

“Fresno City College’s tradition relies on its sophomores to be leaders, and teach our freshman how to be Rams, on and off the court. That’s what this group has done for us,” said Ammon

FCC finished the season 30 – 3, winning their 12th straight CVC title. They will lose three sophomores of this year’s squad, and will bring back 11 players from this year’s team.

“We’re going to use this as motivation to get better everyday. We’re just going to learn from this and make sure we work that much harder. Nothing less than a state championship,” said freshman Brian Chambers.