Women’s Tennis Team Looking to Form Winning Bonds

The Fresno City College women’s tennis team is starting its new season with great hope and new coaches Katharina Winterhalter and Chantel Wiggins running things alongside coach Ronnie Monreal, the rams are poised for another championship run.

“We’re always expected to run a high level program wherever we coach and we expect that to continue at Fresno CIty College,” Coach Wiggins said.

The new coaching has also been a great adjustment for the players like returning sophomore Macy Elliot. “The new coaches are awesome, they bring so much to the table, they give us an extra push to work harder,” Elliot said.

This year, the team is looking to capitalize on recent team success over the past few seasons, including finishing No. 1 in the state last year and staying undefeated in conference, plus winning the Big 8 title.

With the loss of stars Maya Mammetgulyyeva and Briawna Brown, this team will look to a group effort to prevent big losses.

The team is off to a great start to their season with a record of 3-0, having beaten Chabot, Santa Barbara and Bakersfield

“Last year was a good experience; we did very well, and we went 17-2,” Elliott said. “Now, we’re looking to be better this season,” said Elliott

This year’s team is more than ready to build a bond that can lead them to become better, on and off the court. Despite their struggles on only having three returning players, the Rams youth will look to compete every time they step out on the court.

This season they are looking to repeat that performance with a new group of players like freshman Alexis Rodriguez

“It feels good to play and continue with college tennis,” Rodriguez said. “It’s important to me.”

With the expectations of making it to make state, these players and coaches have all the confidence and mental toughness to go the distance.