New Year? No problems

New Year? No problems
Photo by: Daisy

The Fresno City College Rams are dominating into the new year with a new cast of characters with Head Coach Ed Madec, in his eight years at the helm.

With 261 wins at the college, Madec is looking for another excellent year.

“I think this team can be special,” Madec said. “They have the makings to be really special.“

With a record of 22-3 and ranked No.1 in the state, the Rams are on the verge of that special season. With a winning record over teams currently ranked in the top 20, there is no telling just how high the team can go.

“A few things factor into how far we can go,” Madec said. “Health and improvement — if we do those things, I think we’ll have a chance again.”

Currently on a 13-game win streak, their last loss was on Dec.7 to Mt.San Antonio in the finals of the Mountie Classic. The Rams have 3 losses on the season, two to Mt. San Antonio, currently the No. 5 team in the state.

“After that loss, we’ve been going hard, never getting complacent, and staying humble,” said Dejon Burdeaux, sophomore guard.

The Rams continue to be balanced on offense. With five players averaging over 7 points and seven players averaging between 3 to 6 points a game, the Rams have a deep rotation this year.

Sophomore Guard James O’neal has led the Rams this season with 11.3 points, 5.5 assists, and 1.4 steals a game.

“As a point guard I like to get my teammates involved, and when we get slow of offense, I try and take over and help our team out,” O’neal said.

In a key home game against Columbia College on Jan. 24, the Rams got a huge game from Freshman Nick Hilton who came into the game shooting 4 of 25 from 3 point range in five previous games.

“I had a few bad shooting games so I knew i was due for a good one,” said Hilton who hit a career high 6 three pointers for 18 points in the win.

“I knew it would be a good night after I hit the first one,” he said.

Under Madec, the Rams have won 8 straight Central Valley Conference championships, losing only two games while in the Conference in the past five seasons. They’ll be looking for their ninth this season, even if it is not the cleanest of wins.

“The script changes each game depending on the opponent,” Madec said. “Sometimes, you have to win a little ugly.”