Men’s Soccer Wins First Game at Home

Fresno City College men’s soccer team got their first home win of the season with a 3-1 win against Las Positas on Sept. 23 at Ratcliffe Stadium.

“We didn’t play our best,” said head coach Eric Solberg. “We’re extremely beat up and tired from our travels.”

FCC had just finished playing six straight road games before coming home. This includes a trip to Salt Lake City for the Rams where they tied and lost one game.

“We’re a lot closer to each other, working a lot harder because we want the same thing, which is a state championship,” said Sophomore defender Christian Chaney.

Sophomore midfielder Wesly Vasquez opened the scoring for FCC, netting a goal in the 11th minute. Freshman Jose Torres recorded an assist on off  Vasquez’s goal and scored his second goal of the season two minutes later.

All-American Christian Chaney scored in the 90th minute.

“We let one goal in towards the end on a mistake,” said Chaney. “We’re always a really good defensive team we just have to stay focused on the end of the field.”

FCC is 5-4-1 this season. They are currently fourth in the Central Valley Conference.

Freshman midfielder Jose Torres is leading the team in points with 2 goals and 3 assists. Alton Yokley and Austin Ramos are second on the team in 2 goals each.

Freshman Cesar Hernandez is defending well; he has recorded 41 saves in the first 10 games.

Solberg said, “We did what we had to and came away with the 3-1 victory.”