Freshmen Step up Early this Season

FCC offense dominates as Rams move to 5-0

Although the Fresno City College women’s soccer team tied its first game of the season, the team has found its groove and is on fire resulting in a 5-0 victory over American River College on Friday Sept. 12, at Ratcliffe Stadium.

There were worries about scoring at the beginning of season, but the Rams have put them to rest any after a dominating win versus ARC.

“We needed to improve on finishing scoring opportunities,” said head coach Oliver Germond. “We have some talented players that are skilled mixed with some athleticism.

Freshmen Kelly Garzon, Jasmine Carion, Mel Harris, and Yesseniah Delgahdillo all came through for FCC, as they scored 4 total goals in the second half against the Beavers.

“Our Freshmen are adjusting very well,” said Germond. “It’s an adjustment to play at the college level, b

our freshmen are showing more more confidence every day which will make our team much stronger.”

FCC has been dominant in their first six games of  season, scoring 14 goals and allowing only one so far.

“We’ve  done a great job defensively in the first six games,” Germond said.  “Coming into the season defending was a concern since our four starting defenders and GK all graduated last year.”

Sophomore Forward Jannely Rangel has helped lead the rams with 4 goals and 3 assists in six games.

“We have to stay leveled headed and not get too confident,” said Rangel.  “We have a great team and we always need to know there are things we have to do to keep getting better.”

With a high scoring offense and a dominant defense, FCC could be poised to win its ninth Central Valley Conference title in Germon’s 14 seasons at FCC.

“I feel our team has to stay focused, take each game one at a time,” said Sophomore midfielder Maricruz Chapa. “Thats our key to winning.”