Rams lose experienced players, remain hopeful

Football season is back at Fresno City College, after winning the Central Valley Conference and playing in the Gridiron Classic Bowl last season, Fresno City College FCC is ready for a shot at the state title.

FCC opens Sept. 6 against DeAnza and plays a tough five-game non-conference schedule that includes games against City College of San Francisco and Butte College. The Rams have not been able to defeat either school of these teams over in the last two seasons.

FCC will go to City College of San Francisco on Sept. 20. and Butte College comes to Ratcliffe Stadium Sept. 27.

“I think we can be a great football team. We have a great group of returning players, and our incoming players have shown great progress over the summer, “ said coach Tony Caviglia

Spring transfer Christian Rossi and Sophomore Nolan Sorensen look to replace Marcus Montero who was top 20 in the state in passing, as the starting quarterback have been battling all summer for the job.

Sophomores Micah Ledezma, who rushed for 527 yards and six touchdowns, and Errian Wingfield, who rushed for 462 yards and six touchdowns,  provide a solid rushing attack, both were top 10 in the conference in rushing last year.

“This years group is pretty strong, a little more talented, and has a high football IQ,” running backs coach Jesus Reyes said. “Hopefully it translates on the field well.”

FCC will replace a few key ofFensive players. Receiver Darious Armstead, who caught 10 passes last season, will try to help fill the void, after the departure of  receivers Brayden Sanchez to Nevada and Shakeim Barbel to Kansas University.

In the secondary FCC brings back one of the better safeties in the state in Gerald Nutt, who lead the state with  7 interceptions last year.

They bring back defensive lineman Wyatt McBee, who had two sacks last season. Contender for conference defensive player of the year honors and is being looked at by top Division 1 schools like Florida University.

“This year we have talented team, who listen well, a smart group of athletes.” said Reyes