FCC spring sports at a glance

Fresno City College sports reigned supreme again this semester, having four teams finish in the state’s top 5 for their respective sports.

Women’s Basketball

FCC finished the season 30 – 4, 11-1 in the Central Valley Conference. They won the CVC title for the 7th straight season. They finished ranked No. 4 in the state and No. 2 in NorCal. It’s the 7th straight year they’ve finished top 10 in the state and top five in NorCal.

NorCal Player of Year Keyora Wharry (24.1 points per game, 13.2 rebounds) helped lead Rams’ return to state tournament wiith 25 double-doubles.

Wharry is an FCC career leader in scoring at 1,189 career points, 733 rebounds and a 59-8 record.

Men’s Basketball 

FCC men’s basketball continued its dominance this season finishing with a 28-2 overall record. They became 10-2 in the CVC going on a 20-game winning streak during the season. FCC won their 12th straight CVC title. They were led by co-players of the year sophomore guards Chris Ashanti and Rich Tesmer. Head coach Ed Madec was named Coach of The Year.

“The season was a shock, I know the program has a history of winning. Coming here as a freshman is paying off,” said freshman point guard  Dejon Burdeaux. “We’ve become a brotherhood, bonding throughout the season, we see each others as brothers. The three sophomores have taken us in like family.”

Men’s Tennis

The FCC Rams won their third straight Central California College Athletic Association Men’s Tennis Team Championship. Fresno, the No. 1 seed in NorCal, completed a perfect  season (18-0) and extended its winning streak to 58 straight matches. They also finished No.1 in the state.

Sophomore  Matt Alves, a transfer from UC Santa Barbara,  finished the season  No.2 in the state. Jakov Tkirkshin  ended the season at No. 4 in the state. Scott Gray,  Adrine Varenne and  Alec Bessinger  all finished the season ranked very highly, giving FCC one of its strongest tennis teams in recent memory.

Women’s Tennis

FCC women’s tennis had one of the greatest seasns in school  history. They finished the season 17-2 going undefeated in  the CVC conference. FCC’s last conference title came in 2012 when they were co-champs with Reedley College.

Freshman Maya Mammetgulyyeva and freshman Briawna Brown  led FCC to an undefeated conference record. Mammetgulyyeva, Brown and 2012 CVC MVP Candace Egan helped  FCC  finish the  season No. 3 in the state.

FCC Baseball  

FCC baseball had another excellent season, going 26 –  1. They  finished tied for 2nd in the  Central  Valley Conference.

They finished the season 15th in NorCal. Sophomore Ryan Deane led FCC with  47 hits and 24 Runs.. He hit for a .301  average.

Sophomore Preston Scott led the team with five home runs and 33 runs batted in. Freshman pitcher Jose Alvarez had a fantastic season on the mound going 7-2. He pitched a total of  73 innings, recorded 65 strikeouts and had a 2.03 earned run average.

Sophomore All – American Dominic Topoozian had a decent season. He went 6 – 7, had 1 complete game, pitched 88 innings, recorded 60 strikeouts  and had a 2.63 earned run average.