Obama In the Public Eye

If you have ever gone to a children’s sporting event–whether it be a game of peewee football, basketball, little league baseball or soccer–it seems like the child athletes can do no wrong in their parents’ eyes.

It seems like that is the case for some people with President Obama. It does not matter how bad the economy is, or the policies he advocates or failures to come through on his promises, Obama supporters refuse to pin the blame on him.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics shows that the current unemployment rate is 6.3 percent. The rate has been in its lowest in years. The Obama administration claim to have created thousands of new jobs, the results from the Bureau of Labor Statistics contradict if these new jobs have aided those without employment.

According to the BLS, the unemployment rate under former President Bush’s two terms was an average of 5.9 percent as opposed to the current average unemployment rate under Obama’s presidency at 9.2 percent.

Although Obama withdrew all U.S. troops from Iraq in December of 2011, the Department of Defense reports that he increased the amount of troops in Afghanistan, where 1,564 U.S. military men and women have died since 2008. According to icasualties.org, there was a total of 4485 U.S. military deaths in the Iraq War from 2003 to 2011.

President Obama must work to promote bipartisanship. In fact, according to the Congressional Budget Office, thanks to the bipartisan support for spending cuts and tax increases, the national debt is actually shrinking.

It shouldn’t matter whether someone is a Republican or Democrat, Christian or Atheist or black or white, when everyone works together for one common goal, it is better for all Americans. As president, he holds the responsibility of leading this country to what it is and what it can be.

Obama is in the midpoint of his second term as commander-in-chief and the next couple of years will be crucial for him and the legacy he will leave behind. How he will be remembered and how he ranks amongst the best and worst presidents of all time will be determined in the coming months.