Sexual Assault Rules Changed to Meet Federal Guidelines

Administrators at Fresno City College came together on Feb. 26, to change the rules surrounding sexual assault on campus and become more in compliance with Federal statutes, including the Violence Against Women Act.

The sexual assault prevention task force spoke on the different requirements under the law and how the campus need to adjust to the changes by the July 1 deadline. Before that deadline campus leadership must conduct climate surveys which are recommended at least once per year and put out an advertising campaign to help explain the new regulations.

“Now we know exactly what we have to do and how we have to do it,” said State Center Community College District Police Chief Bruce Hartman. “And we have six months to do it.”

Also by that day there must be an administrative policy in place that includes “specific detail on student discipline”.

It’s really just a matter of now we finally have the rules as to what exactly has to go in there,” Hartman said.

Back in may, lawmakers in California passed a law to require colleges and universities across the state to adopt policies regarding sexual assault, domestic violence and stalking to receive state funding. Federal regulations of the clery act are similar.

According to the clery act regulations, the campus must inform victims of available medical services whether on or off campus.

“This is an effort that is taken on by the whole school,” Hartman said. “We’re pretty ahead of the curve, it’s just a matter of fine tuning things.”

Also the department of education will be conducting program reviews where the punishment could be as much as $150,000 per violation.

According to a suggested compliance timeline changes to the conduct code will be l by the summer of 2015.

“We will get this done in time,” Hartman said. “I have zero doubt about that.”