Board Approves Parking Fee, Fine Increase

The State Center Community College District Board of Trustees has approved a proposal to increase parking permit fees and parking citation fines. The increase in fines will begin in January and the parking fee increase will begin in Fall of 2015.

“The plan was revised to keep daily parking passes at $1 so that part-time students and faculty would not face an increase,” said Lucy Ruiz, interim director of public and legislative affairs.

At the November meeting of the board of trustees, the Clovis Community College Associated Student Government President, Colin Van Loon, asked the board to consider alternative plans of action that would be easier for part time students.

The group voted unanimously to not support the version of the bill presented in November, but sent a letter in support of the revised version of the bill.

Parking fees will gradually increase every semester up until fall 2018, with students paying $30 for fall and spring semester permit fees and $20 for summer permit fees. The yearly permit fee will be $80.

According to the Dec. 9 meeting agenda, “the increase in fees and fines is necessary to ensure adequate maintenance and operations of the existing parking lots for safe and effective use by students, faculty and staff.”

It is estimated that the increase in fees and fines will generate extra yearly revenue — raising it up from $977,000 to $1,800,000.

While parking permit fees will not take effect until fall 2015, parking fines are set to increase immediately in January when students return for the spring semester.

Students or faculty parking without a permit will be fined $40, up from $16. Anyone parking in a handicap stall without a permit will be fined $275.

A recommendation was made at the Dec. 9 meeting for the board of trustees to revise Board Policy 5030 and the increase in parking fees and fines in order to reflect the changes.