Payne Committee Appointed

The president of the State Center Community College District board of trustees appointed an ad hoc committee to investigate allegations of misconduct against Trustee Eric Payne.   

The three-member committee includes Ronald H. Nishinaka, vice president of the board; Richard Caglia, trustee, and Patrick Patterson, board president.  The committee will select an outside investigator to assist them.

The committee will be guided by Board Policy 2715 “Code of Ethics/Standards of Practice” which details the process for the board to investigate if the actions of a board member are improper and if action is warranted.

In its Oct. 7 meeting, the board voted for an investigation

Payne can potentially be reprimanded by the committee. They have the ability to release a statement condemning the actions of the trustee and make it clear to the public that they feel his actions were “unbecoming” of a member of the board.

According to a statement released by the district, the board policy permits the trustee subject to the charge of misconduct, Payne, to present information to the committee. The committee will then make a report of its findings to the full Board for consideration of action.

Nothing has been released on when that report will be given to the rest of the board members.

Trustee Payne has been accused of interfering in the hiring practicing at Reedley College and plagiarizing an opinion article for the Fresno Bee.