FCC Community Symphony Orchestra

FCC Community Symphony Orchestra
Photo by: Jonathan Stevens

Fresno City College Community Symphony Orchestra held a wonderful performance on Feb. 24 in the Old Administration Building. Leading the performers was Jeffrey T. Sandersier, conductor of 26 years.

The program featured works of three different composers– Giuseppe Verdi, Johann Nepomuk Hummel and Dmitri Shostakovich. Verdi’s Giovanna d’Arco (Joan of Arc) which premiered in 1845, consists of three parts and is his seventh opera.

He enlisted Pierce Yamaoka, the principle of the trumpet section, as the soloist during Johann Nepomuk Hummel “Concerto E flat major for Trumpet and Orchestra”, the cherry on top of an already perfect performance.

Closing the performance with Dmitri Shostakovich film score for “Five Days, Five Nights”. The five part sections was “inspired by the tracking down and recovery of priceless Dresden Art by Soviet troops in 1945.”

As a Fresno premier, Sandersier chooses the music on a few criterias. Thinking full circle for the performers to the audience members. He wants his students to have a new experience and challenge themselves with unlikely composers of the early 20th century.

Also giving the audience exposure to new music that they might not hear in other places. Sandersier wants everyone to leave the fantastic performance with the sense of emotion from the music and to be moved emotionally, “going away feeling like that was a really beautiful experience.”

Jacqueline Campos, trombonist, said being on stage “feels amazing, it’s one of the most euphoric feelings ever!” Campos also finds that “one thing I find in this group that always happens, we just rock it on performance nights,” said Tammy Jackson, violinist.

From the young to the highly experienced, music is an ageless sport. “It’s a community, I feel there has to be a place for musicians. When you learn an instrument in college or school and you want to still play, this is providing an opportunity to play, develop, and grow.” said Sandersier. “Performance time is to make music and enjoy it!”