Film Review: If I Stay

From beginning to end, “If I Stay” delivers a brilliant story of young girl who must decide whether to keep moving on following a tragic car accident.

The movie follows the life of Mia Hall, played by Chloë Grace Moretz, and how her life is altered by several key moments that occur in her life.

Mia is the child of two parents who raised her in the rock n roll scene. Her father was the drummer of a local rock band who would play regularly several times a week. Mia grew up with music and her life story begins to take shape when she is introduced to the cello.

As she learns to play the cello, she becomes enamored with all the complexities and mechanics of music. She begins to separate herself from the world and gets lost in a microcosm created by the sound of her instrument. Her parents start to take notice of her talent and her father buys her her own cello.

Mia gets older and another person notices how well she plays. Adam, played by Jamie Blackley, is intrigued by the intensity and passion he witnesses in Mia while she plays. Adam is the lead singer of an up and coming local punk band and as he and Mia begin to date, Mia is thrown again into a completely different world.

Mia is faced with the decision of going to school in New York or staying in Portland to be with Adam. As she is contemplating the decision, her family and her decide to take a trip during a snowed out day. On the way they get into a car accident that tragically takes the lives of her family and leaving in her a coma. Mia must decide whether to let go and die or wake up and keep moving on. Mia must decide if the people left in her life are worth the choice of fighting to live.

“If I Stay” offers a great look at tough decisions one must face following a traumatic event. From the actors to director, from the writers to the costume designer, the film is exceptionally made and the story is portrayed wonderfully.

A